2 Days 1 Night
This is an Activity for Everyone. The Mt Kinabalu via ferrata is devised to give climbers with little or no climbing experience access to rock faces normally reached by mountaineers and rock climbers. The minimum requirements needed for the first time via ferrate climber are:
A via ferrata (or ‘iron road’ in Italian, plural via ferrate) is a protected mountain pathway consisting of a series of rungs, rails, cables and bridges embracing the rock face. It allows access to scenic sections of the mountains that are typically available only to rock climbers and mountaineers. The world’s highest via ferrata, Mountain Torq – which also happens to be Asia’s first – can now be found on Mt Kinabalu in Malaysian Borneo.
• 0600hrs - 0645hrs: Pick-up from your hotel lobby and depart on a 2 hrs journey to Kinabalu Park Headquarter. Collect your packed lunch.
• 0900hrs: Our guide will arrange for all necessary registrations, assign you a mountain guide and apply for your ID TAG.
• Remember to wear your ID TAG at all times.
• You'll then be transferred to the starting point – Timpohon Gate – where your journey and quest to the summit of Borneo’s highest mountain begins! The climb will take approximately 4-5 hours.
• The trek will pass by different vegetation zones from Oak and Chestnut to mossy and eventually to alpine type of vegetations.
• 1500hrs: Arrive at Pendant hut @ 3,289m and settle in.
• 1530hrs: Attend the mandatory Via Ferrata familiarization in Pendant Hut and meet your Mountain Torq trainer.
• 1800hrs: Buffet Dinner at Laban Rata restaurant and overnight at Pendant Hut.
• 2000hrs: Lights out.
0130hrs: Wake up for early supper & pack up.
0230hrs: Continuation of the journey towards the summit of Mount Kinabalu.
0540hrs: Summit Low's peak @ 4,095m and catch the sunrise.
0600hrs: Descend Low’s Peak to meet your Mountain Torq trainer.
0715hrs: Meet your via Ferrata trainer at Sayat Sayat Hut @ 3,668m for Walk the Torq via Ferrata experience (introductory via Ferrata, French grade PD).
0930hrs: Return to Pendant Hut for a well-earned late breakfast.
1100hrs: Check out of Pendant Hut.
Descend to Timpohon Gate.
Arrive at Timpohon Gate (Est. arrival 15:00hrs to 17:00hrs) and transfer to headquarters to collect the certificate of achievement.
Lunch will be served in Kinabalu Park.
Transfer back to Kota Kinabalu city. The journey takes approx. 2 hrs.